Google Inc.’s 220,000 square-foot Pittsburgh offices are located in the repurposed Nabisco factory in Bakery Square. The kitchen in the Google Pittsburgh renovation became necessary, and superior tiling products that would meet time constraints and perform with no issues were required. A competitor’s product was specified for leveling the floors to 5/8” but they chose to leave the job. Existing gypcrete substrates were soft on the surface and sounded hollow. ARDEX LevelMaster Elite® installer Bob Semen contacted ARDEX for product solutions.
Leveling Installer: Seman Flooring, Inc. – Washington, PA
Tile Contractor: J.P. Phillips Tile Co. – Canonsburg, PA
General Contractor: A. Martini & Co. – Verona, PA
- ARDEX X 5™ Flexible Tile and Stone Mortar
- ARDEX AM 100™ Rapid Set Pre-Tile Smoothing and Ramping Mortar
- ARDEX 8+9™ Rapid Waterproofing and Crack Isolation Compound
- ARDEX SK MeshTM
- ARDEX TL WOOD™ Self-Leveling Underlayment for Wood and Distressed Gypsum Subfloors
- Two-week installation time frame
- 3,000 square foot installation area
- Working office space
- All other trades on job at the same time
- Moisture issues in drain areas
ARDEX conducted a job start meeting between ARDEX Americas, J.P. Phillips Tile Co, A. Martini & Co. and Seman Flooring, Inc. resulting in ARDEX products winning the job. After floors were mechanically prepped, ARDEX TL WOOD™ Self-Leveling Underlayment leveled floors by 5/8 inch. ARDEX AM 100™ Rapid Set PreTile Smoothing and Ramping Mortar created a slope to floor drains. Once floors were leveled, ARDEX 8+9™ Rapid Waterproofing and Crack Isolation Compound created a crack isolation barrier on the floor surface. ARDEX X 5™ Flexible Tile and Stone Mortar installed new porcelain tiles. A 10-year ARDEX SystemOne™ warranty was given because multiple ARDEX Tile & Stone Installation Systems products were used.