In early spring 2015, the Bellevue Drive home owners were ready to begin an exterior façade tile installation. Inclement weather and high temperatures often delayed the installation of the Porcelonosa XLight tiles. This custom tile installation required the highest quality materials that were guaranteed to perform.
Installer: Metroworks Tile and Stone, Shawn Perepelytz (Principal) – Vancouver, BC
Tile Distributor: FONTILE – Vancouver, BC
Tile: Porcelonosa XLight
ARDEX Distributor: Pacific Rim Flooring Supply – Burnaby, BC
- ARDEX AM 100™ Rapid Set Pre-Tile Smoothing and Ramping Mortar
- ARDEX 8+9™ Rapid Waterproofing and Crack Isolation Compound
- ARDEX X 77™ MICROTEC® Fiber Reinforced Tile and Stone Mortar
- ARDEX SX™ 100% Silicone Sealant for Tile and Stone Applications
- Competitors’ products specified for the installation
- Inclement weather and temperatures dictated when installation could take place
- Large format thin tiles to be installed on exterior of private home
- 372 sq. m. (4,000 square-foot) installation area
ARDEX Regional Manager Don Brletic worked with Metroworks Tile & Stone Installer Shawn Perepelytz to switch the installation from competitors’ products to ARDEX products. All walls were screeded with ARDEX AM 100™ within 1/16” over 12’ horizontally. Vertically was more challenging with the walls in some areas out of plumb 1.5” over 6’. Once the entire house and garage were screeded, fracture joints were coated with ARDEX 8+9™. ARDEX X 77™ was used to coat and flat trowel the large tiles. Each piece was then tapped with a grout float from the inside out to ensure proper coverage. Since every second tile required an expansion joint, Shawn and his team used ARDEX SX™ in those areas. ARDEX SX™ is UV rated and matched the tile perfectly. ARDEX Technical Representative Bertram Tasch visited the jobsite multiple times to offer training and support. “ARDEX materials performed beyond expectations and their local representation and service was equal to the task,” said Metroworks Tile & Stone Principal Shawn Perepelytz. “It was like the ARDEX team was an extension of my installation crew.” The project won the 2015 TTMAC (Terrazzo, Tile and Marble Association of Canada) Project of the Year and Technical Application of the Year. It was eligible for an ARDEX SystemOne™ warranty ensuring the homeowners that ARDEX stands behind its products and installations.